SULTANI DAL WITH RAINBOW EVAPORATED MILK
Serving - 4
More than 40 mins
- 1½ cups split pigeon peas (tuvar dal), soaked for ½ hour and cooked with salt and turmeric powder
- 2 tbsps + ½ tsp ghee
- 1½ tsps cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 charcoal pieces
- 1-2 slit green chillies
- 2 tsps coriander powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup Rainbow Evaporated Milk
- 3-4 cloves
- 1-2 green chillies, cut into thin strips for garnish
- Heat 2 tbsps ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds and let them change colour. Add garlic and sauté well.
- Add onion and sauté till golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat a piece of charcoal on direct flame.
- Add green chillies to the onion mixture and mix well. Add coriander powder and red chilli powder and mix well.
- Add cooked pigeon peas and mix well. Add salt and mix. Cook for a few seconds.
- Add Rainbow Evaporated Milk, mix well. Let the mixture come to a boil.
- Place the hot charcoal in a small stainless bowl, add cloves and place the bowl in the middle of the cooked mixture.
- Drizzle remaining ghee in it, cover and let the flavours infuse for 10 seconds. Discard the bowl, stir the dal and take it off the heat.
- Transfer into a serving bowl, garnish with green chilli strips and serve hot.