SAVOURY PONGAL WITH RAINBOW EVAPORATED MILK
Serving - 4
More than 40 mins
- 1½ cups kolam rice, soaked and drained
- ½ cup split skinless green grams (dhuli moong dal)
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- ½ cup Rainbow Evaporated Milk
- 10-12 black peppercorns
- 3 tbsps ghee
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 10-12 cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- Heat a pressure cooker, add rice and split green gram, salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Add sufficient water and Rainbow Evaporated Milk and mix well.
- Place the lid on and cook under pressure till 4-5 whistles are released. Allow the pressure to reduce completely.
- Put black peppercorns in a blender jar and crush coarsely. Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan, add asafoetida, cumin seeds and crushed black peppercorns and mix. Add curry leaves and ginger and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add cashew nuts and sauté till they turn golden in colour.
- Add ¾ of this tempering to the rice-gram mixture and mix well. Transfer into a serving bowl.
- Drizzling the remaining tempering on top and serve hot.